Driven and accomplished Public Relations / Communications practitioner with 18 years experience in marketing, strategic communications planning, media relations, with management and administrative experience. Effectively promoting and enhancing robust communications campaigns for internal and external audiences and maintaining active and positive relationships with media, government, businesses, and the community. Well-connected in Comox Valley and highly successful in event planning, stakeholders' engagement and business operations
Leadership and Management Course, Ottawa, 2006; Website Content Management, Ottawa, 2005; Advance Aerospace Officer Leadership Course, Winnipeg, 2004; Staff Officers Course, NATO School, Oberammergau, Germany, 2001; Information Operations, United States Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, Va., 2001; Defence Information and Journalism School, Fort Meade, Maryland, 2000; Member International Association of Public Participation (IAP2)
Soteria Strategies Inc. –
- Managed team of four employees and four subcontractors for health and safety company.
- Created business plans, policies and technical manuals.
- Directed business operations with a 1.1M contract
Director Of Marketing And Communications,
St Joseph's General Hospital –
Develop Strategic Communication Plan and coordinate communications activities to promote hospital's future role in healthcare sector.Negotiate and facilitate all media relations activities and provide media awareness coaching and interview technique training. Create and oversee execution of community and government engagement strategies.Write all communications material for online and print including briefing notes, press releases,
fact sheets, annual reports, powerpoint presentations, and media response lines and talking points.
Black Press,Skies Magazine/RCAF Today, Island Woman Magazine –
- Produced high-quality marketing and promotional material for various businesses or products.
- Wrote, photographed and produced stories for multiple publications, including Internet and digital channels.
- Edited footage to create videos for Black Press social media.
- Achieved several accolades and notes of appreciation regarding the quality and professional caliber of an individual or on a featured business.
Public Affairs Officer ,
Canadian Forces Base Comox
Developed and implemented communication objectives for 19 Wing Air Force base.Prepared all public relations publications including press releases, media advisories, fact
sheets, talking points, and speeches for commanding officer and senior staff, and povided spokesperson training for air force officers.
Accomplished tasks include organizing and facilitating media coverage of a high-profile
military funeral of a service member killed while serving on duty, and two emergency incidents on base.Established excellent media relations with local print, radio and TV press able to call upon them to help break a newsworthy story.
Abbotsford and Fort McMurray International Airshow Societies –
Abbotsford and Fort McMurray
Targeted both offline and online consumers by designing a multi-pronged and comprehensive marketing strategy. Developed partnerships with local businesses to secure third party promotions via media sponsorship. Developed key messaging, branding and positioning statements, and prepared show performers and subject matter experts for interviews. Maintained social media tools, blog and web content to provide real-time reporting of air show events.
Vintage Wings of Canada –
Developed strategic communication plan including key messages and tools for effective communication with internal and external audiences. Organized and facilitated all media interviews, activities and events including press conferences.Developed, delivered and managed crisis communications plan and provided all media
training to key spokesperson.Successfully managed numerous social media platforms for three air demonstrations teams in
addition to main webpage and blog.Designed and delivered PR campaigns for four air shows working closely with municipal leaders and businesses to execute sponsors partnerships and garner local support.
Public Affairs Advisor Air Force Centennial of Flight,
Canadian Air Force –
- Developed and implemented the strategic communication plan for all activities and events
associated with the centennial celebration across Canada throughout 2009.
- Responsible for the creation and distribution of press releases, media advisories, fact sheets,
talking points, and speeches for senior executive staff and flag officers (Generals).
- Organized and facilitated all media events including interviews, press conferences and special
presentations, preparing spokesperson with key messages.
- Project manager for the creation and development of the Air Force's Centennial of Flight
website and social media tools, successfully accomplishing a dynamic interactive website
involving video, a time-lapse and blog.
Project Manager and Communications Advisor,
Air Force Speakers Bureau –
Managed portfolio of all Air Force members registered in Speakers Bureau program; Arranged speaker engagements in cities and communities across Canada.Developed and managed, in coordination with Air Force Centennial of Flight Celebrations staff, a community outreach/speaking engagement program specific to the Centennial of Flight program. Developed presentation for national Air Force speakers bureau and trained presenters to deliver key strategic messages to target audiences. Led staff of administrators, successfully managing the program under budget limits.
Public Affairs Instructor,
Defence Public Affairs Learning Centre
Provided training in geo-political issues, media relations, crisis communications, outreach, and journalism for Regular and Reserves Public Affairs Officers.Provided instructional training in media operations and communications planning to senior NATO officers employed in a Public Affairs position in their respective nation's military. Mentored new public affairs officers undergoing vocational training.
Public Affairs Advisor and Branch Adjutant,
Ministry of National Defence –
- Managed the administrative, financial and human resource functions within Assistant Deputy Minister (ADM) Public Affairs.
- Prepared the annual business plan for a 30M budget, successfully accomplishing a robust budget able to meet the operational, staff and training requirements.
- Prepared all Chief of Staff presentations and speeches and organized all visits to over 160 CF Provided mentorship and career guidance to more than 100 junior Public Affairs officers across Canada.
Public Affairs Officer,
Department of National Defence –
- Responsible for outsourcing a million-dollar contract to brand four new CF operational
commands, successfully accomplishing the creation of new identities and logos for each.
- Assisted in the development of the strategic communication plan for the new command
structure of the CF.
- Created and executed the strategic communications plan for one of the new commands,
Canadian Operational Support Command.
- Advised the Chief of Transformation commanding general on all media activities, preparing
appropriate speeches, talking points and key messages for interviews and press conferences.
Deputy Director And Public Affairs Officer,
Canadian Air Force Operations Headquaters –
- Managed a team of military and civilian communicators, photographer and administrative
staff for Air Division General.
- Responsible for the Air Force Communication Strategy for all air operations on 13 bases
across Canada and for the North America Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) for the
- Advised Air Division General on all public affairs and media related issues - a role of critical
value and importance during the events of September 11th 2001.
- Principle spokesperson and PA Advisor to Commander of the CAF National Support
Element operating throughout the Arabian Gulf - US-led International Coalition Force for
the Campaign Against Terrorism (2002).
- Accomplished a successful media relations campaign to inform Canadian audiences of all Air
Force activities in support of the war on terrorism while under strict media rules imposed by
the host nation.
Journalism and Communications Certificate:
Public Affairs and Communications,
Defense Information School -
Fort Meade Maryland
Military Air Traffic Control License:
Transport Canada Institute -
Bachelor of Arts:
Business and Commerce,
Royal Military College of Canada -
Business and Commerce